Camp History

Established in 1913 as Camp Morrison the area was originally opened as an Episcopalian Choir Boys' Camp. But, because of its private ownership and popularity, it soon became an American plan family resort with sleeping cabins and a central pavilion, along with a housekeeping cabin. The main building housed the dining room and recreational facilities. In the early years vacationers wishing to escape the summer heat of the city could travel to Pentwater by steamship or train and then were transported from town by boat to the outlet for a walk to the camp. As the roads improved, bus service became available. The camp was extremely popular in its early years and was open to the public on weekends for dances and on Sunday for dinner in the dining room. By the early 1930s the first travel trailers appeared and camping became established at the resort. During WWII the camp's popularity waned because of the war effort and after the war American plan resorts were going out of style - but camping was becoming more popular. In 1966 the camp was purchased from the founding family, modernized, and renamed the Whispering Surf Campground. The pavilion, now used for recreation and as a meeting place for groups, is one of the few turn-of-the-century pavilions remaining and the camp is one of western Michigan's oldest continuously operated resorts.

Back to Homepage Back to Homepage